Calling for proposals for naming StarkNet's testnets

La Paz, Quito, Bogotá etc
(List of capital cities by elevation)

13 Likes

Starknet, how about naming teh testnet with galaxies.
Solar and Proxima.
We are in the solar system.
And the Proxima is the second most distant star system from earth.

12 Likes

Why not the oldest stars in the universe? I propose this:

Methuselah
Reese
Caffau
Sneden
Cayrel
Mönch

11 Likes

Hello, this proposal and the idea of naming stages just made me super excited. By the second I seen this started to think and search. I hope I can bring something meaningful to the table. As I am so excited, I have more than one idea to share. In my thought process, I paid attention to how Starnet made me feel and think. And sometimes I just acted in free association.

Since I wrote too long, I couldn’t provide more details on ideas. If there are ideas that you are interested in and would like to hear more about, please let me know. So I can share a lot more about them.

When I thought about naming, the first thing that came to my mind was water. I wanted to prioritize ideas related to water because of its importance for all living things.

1. I started with biggest lakes on the world and then thought we can also extend the list with other remarkable ones. To name different stages we can consider its characteristic, location, scenery, shape etc.

Biggest lakes: (I picked the ones sounded good to me) Huron, Malawi, Baikal, Urmia, Aral, Turkana, Caspian.
If we want to extend it we can also add these to the list: Como, Natron, Saimaa, Pehoe, Lucerne, Pichola, Tahoe, Bled.

For choosing the name for stages we can use variety of ways. Let’s say if there is an event, conference or something near any of the lakes and we are about to move on to another stage around the same time, we can pick that lake. Or as possibilities limitless we can even just go with feelings.

1. The second one about the water is rivers. Everything I said for lakes also applicable for rivers. I picked the longest rivers on the earth.
    These are Nile, Parana, Amur, Yenisei, Amazon, Yangtze.

2. This one might sound strange but sounded like a great idea to me. Poems…
    Any of the poems can be picked for a name. Countless reasons may find the pick one, its meaning, importance, name itself or any poem you like or community like. But of course, the problem here is most of them has long names. :slight_smile: But I picked few as an example from most famous poet/writers.
    (the)Raven, Invictus, Endymion, (the)Tyger, Ulysses, Panthea, Sonnet.

3. As a traveler, I researched a lot about the early explorers and wanted to learn more about them. I already knew a few names from these researches and name of the project reminded me of Freya Stark, an important traveler. Then I thought we may choose few of these explorer spirits depend on what they have done, how we feel about them etc. and give their names to stages.

Holman for James Holman. One of the most inspiring people to me. At the age of 25, he completely lost his sight due to an illness. He was also suffering from joint pain and his doctor advised him to go somewhere warmer. Then he went and loved the feeling of being on the road. Meanwhile, he started to travel around the world and traveled all 7 continents in 27 years. And his adventures are incredible. They even say he went hunting :slight_smile:

Nansen for Fridjtof Nansen. He is the explorer of coldest places on the world. After he crossing Greenland from end to end in 49 days. Then he decided to discover North Pole. That journey was so tough and he stuck there for 9 months in the middle of pole and survived by eating polar bear :slight_smile:

Hester for Lady Hester Stanhope. She is one of the most remarkable and role-breaking people of her time. In the 1810s, she was exploring the deserts of the Middle East, dressed as a man and on horseback.

Freya for Freya Stark. She devoted her whole life to exploring the world, continuing to do so at the age of 86, having been to some of the world’s most dangerous places alone and even becoming the first non-native person to set foot in the South Arabian Desert. Without a doubt, she is one of the bravest women in the world.

Rene for Rene Caillie. Left home when he was 16 and started to discover West Africa, he was the only European turned back home from the places he visited at those times.

Since this is getting too long, I’ll just give name of the other people and if you want to hear more, I’ll share their stories too. Annie Londonderry, Alexandra David Neel, Junko Tabei, Joshua Slocum, Ida Laura Pfeiffer.

1. Another one that came to mind is light. Stark reminds me light and I searched the words about/relative light. We can pick any of the light related words for the stages depending on how we feel about that stage. I.e., if we feel too bright about the stage then we can pick a name reflects to that. The words I can share in this regard are: Luster, Sheen, Dawn, Mottle, Hue, Scintilla.

I have few more ideas but need to work on them. Wanted share the ideas came to my mind so far. Currently searching about meteors which hit the world. (Hoba, Allande, Barringer, Ivuna) If I compile the information in a way that I can share here, I will share it.

These all for now, I hope I was helpful.

14 Likes

Starktest maybe sir , I think its a cool name

11 Likes

I propose using name of galaxies nearest to our home Milky Way.
[0] Milky Way
[1] Canis
[2] Draco
[3] Tucana
[4] Segue

Source: List of nearest galaxies - Wikipedia

12 Likes