[Proposal] Starknet Alpha v0.11.0

The Starknet governance committee is proud to announce the launch of the first vote on Starknet regarding Starknet Alpha v0.11.0. The vote is now live on Snapshot.

This forum post will be used to discuss v0.11.0 technicals in relation to a mainnet upgrade triggered following the results of the governance vote.

Unrelated conversations, such as about the governance process in general, should be opened as new topics in the governance or related sections. This forum thread is only to discuss v0.11.0 upgrade to mainnet.

Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 Vote

Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 has been deployed on Goerli Testnet. Voters now have a 6-day period to examine the upgraded version as it runs on Goerli. During this time, they can vote whether to approve it for Mainnet deployment via Snapshot.

If the proposal gains a majority of ā€˜YESā€™ votes during the six-day voting period, the proposal passes and Starknet mainnet will be upgraded accordingly.

Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 Information

Below is the relevant links for the current vote

1. Snapshot vote: Snapshot

2. GitHub tags -

3. Starknet: https://github.com/starkware-libs/cairo-lang/releases/tag/v0.11.0
    Release v0.11.0.1 Ā· starkware-libs/cairo-lang Ā· GitHub (small CLI fix)

4. Cairo 1: Release v1.0.0-alpha.6 Ā· starkware-libs/cairo Ā· GitHub

5. Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 explained in docs.starknet.io

6. Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 Medium post

7. Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 explained in Starknet Comunity Call #32

Discussion

Starknet Alpha v0.11.0 Community Call (22.3.2023, 4 pm GMT) -

FAQ

• When does the vote start?

March 21st 2023 at 4:04pm GMT

• When does the vote end?

6 days after the start of the vote, so March 27th 4:04pm GMT

• Who can vote?

Token holders, delegates and the Builderā€™s council.

• Who can participate in the discussion?

Everyone! Even those without voting power are welcome to voice their opinion about the v0.11.0 upgrade. We do ask you to do proper due diligence about the upgrade before posting to ensure quality discussion.

Happy voting!

82 Likes

Iā€™m voting for!

This upgrade marks the first time a mainnet upgrade will be put to a governance vote, which is an exciting milestone for the Starknet community. It demonstrates a commitment to decentralization and ensures that the community has a say in the future of the network. Overall, I believe that the benefits (Cairo1, 5x cheaper, and poseidon hashs) of the v0.11.0 upgrade outweigh any potential risks, and I am excited to see the continued growth and development of Starknet.

Head up here if you havenā€™t voted: Snapshot!

15 Likes

I voted ā€œforā€ because I believe this is a solid step forward in the positive direction for the future of decentralization on starknet.

10 Likes

Voting FOR
Itā€™s encouraging to see upgrades being brought forward to governance and discussed here. The upgrade is well-documented and allows delegates to make decisions with complete knowledge of whatā€™s going on - a great precedent for future upgrades!

9 Likes

I vote for
Because Starknet V0.11.0 introduces the Cairo 1.0 contract, which will open the transition period and move towards regenesis! It will be an important piece of the puzzle to complete Starknet, this vote represents the beginning of the decentralization of the Starknet, and looking ahead to the future path that Starknet, this vote will be a milestone to start a new journeyļ¼

14 Likes

I would vote for :slight_smile:
Me personally and also Exothiums team have been waiting for Cairo 1.0 since it would mark a more readable and developer friendly syntax!
5x cheaper computation when it was already cheap before?
A no brainer for my point of view!

PS: Still iā€™m unware of potential risks with this upgrade

13 Likes

Starknet alpha v0.11.0 release is a significant milestone in the development of the network. It introduces the deployment and interaction of Cairo 1.0 contracts, making smart contract development more accessible and robust. The transition to Cairo 1.0 sets the stage for Starknetā€™s Regenesis plan, which aims to fully transition to the new system.

Furthermore, Starknet alpha v0.11.0 brings a 5x reduction in computation cost, making it more attractive for computationally intensive applications. Also introduction of Starknet Governance, with its first vote on the Mainnet upgrade to v0.11.0, shows the networkā€™s commitment to decentralization and community involvement. Overall, this update marks a crucial step forward for Starknet and holds promising implications for its future development.

I will wait a bit more to see how it is working on Goerli Testnet and to test it myself but I am more likely to vote YES.

10 Likes

Also voted FOR

I 100% support the deployment of StarkNet v0.11 on the mainnet, as it represents a significant step forward for the network. This update will not only enhance the developer experience but also improve network performance overall. On paper, the proposal is undoubtedly a net positive, and I am optimistic that the transition to production will go smoothly.

Many businesses/apps/protocols are relying on the successful rollout of this update, making its timely implementation crucial.

Looking forward to the community call covering the release in a few hours.

13 Likes

Voted FOR
No-brainer, this has been on the roadmap for a long time and donā€™t see any reason to vote against :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I voted ā€œFORā€.

More scalability is our goal, itā€™s been a long time that weā€™re all preparing for this.

No need to vote against !

11 Likes

I voted for because v0.11 is a huge milestone that introduces essential improvements with Cairo 1.0 contracts and reduces computation costs.

11 Likes

Iā€™m voting FOR Starknet Alpha v0.11.0, based on the following reasons:

• Important milestone for Cairo 1.0ā€™s go-live
  • Emphasizes the new governance flow
  • No risks to business continuity observed
  • Opps to garanty build continuity plan during the transition that could be seen as a ā€œdev moratoriumā€
  • Need of efficiency through agility in decision-making

This upgrade is crucial to our networkā€™s growth and aligns with overall network objectives
R.

8 Likes

Voted FOR,

After getting a taste of Cairo 1 itā€™s a no-brainer. Less complexity means more security!

11 Likes

I voted for

Got eni-pilled for Cairo 1, letā€™s stop the waiting and transition asap

8 Likes

:smiley:
I voted ā€œforā€ because I believe this is a solid step forward in the positive direction for the future of decentralization on starknet

3 Likes

Starknet v0.11.0 community call AMA live now

9 Likes

Hello world!

I voted FOR :white_check_mark:

We are all waiting to push forward our ecosystem, and this upgrade initialize officially a new dynamic both technically and governance wise.

Looking forward to everything that is about to happen! :rocket:

4 Likes

helo peeps. this one should be clear, voted for! full speed ahead.

3 Likes

Voted FOR

Excited for Cairo 1.0, 5x reduction in computation and for the upcoming regenesis :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I voted ā€œFORā€.
More scalability it improves the development experience by offering a richer programming language and plays a key role in Starknetā€™s security.

7 Likes