Wide airdrop yes/no?

That’s a good case for a wide airdrop. You give people a chance and some of them could be converted to holders. Of course, insane sybil nets with thousands of farming addresses must be discarded.

I think that debank is trying to elaborate a platform to avoid sybils, we may take a look over there? I have seen that someone already proposed this, but wasn’t taken in consideration a lot, or given any discussions

Wide airdrop but consider the importance of early adopter would be best. Stark found have the money to back such a event.

As for sybils, you can filter 80% out by just raising the bars

There are dozens of criteria how we can remove sybil attackers for getting the airdrop. The problem is: Which way Starknet should chose? A few rounds like Optimism? One huge as Arbitrum? No airdrop at start? Public Sale like SUI?

IMO there is no the best strategy for a long time. We need to wait 3-5 years to see what would happen with other projects which chose to do an airdrop.

I would chose strategy between arb and op. Do retrospective airdrop basic on many different approach. It should be more selective: (age of the address, amount of ETH and other assets hodl in the wallet x days, active weeks/monts/used dapps/bridge from L1 and activity on the EVM address, use of StarkEX). As You can see there is many different way to filtr sybil accounts (80-90% addresses).

Of course there is no way to find out if someone has 2-5 or 10 wallets but if we want to stay true decentralized protocol we should look on the on-chain activity.

IMO we should also start do delegate tokens to individuals and it might be cool criteria (or for the secound/next rounds).

Hi,
Really intersting topic, as Sui and Sei demonstrated it, airdrop can really be a double edge sword.
If you don’t do it, you’re losing massive interest of the community and exposure, but if you do it poorly, you’re rewarding legions of bots that take advantage of the system.

Imho i think this question is not debated enough (maybe to avoid giving ways for the Sybils to avoid it ?).

As crypto core value is to give power back to the user in a trustless manner, it’s really hard to filter bots…

Even the great gitcoin passeport might prove not good enough to filter bots…but you can’t really do a KYC as it would be hated both by the community and the afore mentionned values…

I believe there is really a tremenduous market to give airdropping projects a real proof of humanity of its users. Maybe Starknet could use the zk proofs to create a way to filter without revealing too much info about the user ?

Really impatient to hear which ideas will be explored by the Starknet team.

Great point! It’s important to carefully consider the potential drawbacks of a wide airdrop and weigh them against the benefits. Rewarding early adopters who have contributed to the ecosystem is definitely worth considering as well. Ultimately, it comes down to finding the right balance between incentivizing growth and maintaining the integrity of the network.

Yes true some people do look into the ecosystem but most people just sold their bags.

Starknet needs to expand its ecosystem, and given the success of Optimism and Arbitrum, some level of generous airdrop seems good to the project’s success!

i think if starknet wants to be a real decentralized network, it needs to a Large DAO (a big community) and considering a huge airedrop is the best way for that.

Airdrops have always been a way to reward participants on the blockchain, A wide airdrop shows Starknet’s commitment to the web3 ethos of encouraging community participation, So as long there is profit there will be Sybils, Placing heavy emphasis on sybils disrupts the Starknet teams ability to select a proper and effective criteria for airdrops! There are many networks who have succeeded with influx of sybils, When a wide airdrop approach has been taken, so unless they have found an ingenious way to rid syblils(which i doubt) the team should distribute a wide airdrop and see how the likelihood good contributors and genuine participants manifest in the long run.

I think that transformative and powerful technologies as Stark developed by Starknet should find a way to as many people as possible. The community is really important to get the project/technology move to the next level as airdrop is being distributed. Each and every member of the community will feel really valuable if they received a piece (either big or small).
PS: there needs to be a method to remove sybills and only real users shall receive the airdrop. In this industry there are already to many bots, we don’t need more!

Yes i believe Airdrop is useful tool for creating hype and also generate some organic audiences into the network, recent example was sui net they didn’t do any Airdrop and hence resulted in bad reputation to project with many people leaved the community.

wide airdrop is cool…as so far projects using it attracts more users than projects that don’t provide any airdrops. however, i’m concerned about dishonest users, so it would be better to implement KYC/verification to ensure fairness and filter out sybil accounts.

Hi folks :hugs:,

The idea of wide accessibility, like with Optimism or Arbitrum, sounds fantastic, but the shadow of sybils causing a ruckus for regular users raises some eyebrows. Here’s the million-dollar question: Stick to the plan of rewarding early users, à la Starkex, or go for the widespread airdrop extravaganza?

While you ponder that, take a peek at Nimbora x Liquity – our nifty integration that lets you borrow at 0% interest straight from Starknet. It’s like a sneak peek into the future of decentralized finance!

Your thoughts on wide airdrops versus targeted early user rewards are gold. Jump into the convo, and let’s unravel the possibilities! :speech_balloon:
#AirdropDebate #CommunityInsights #NimboraLiquityIntegration

Hello, we had very good exemple of large airdrops recently with Sei Network, Jupiter,Optimisum, Arbitrum, Pyth, Jito.
And before with Aptos, Uniswap etc.
A blockchain must enroll the largest community possible so the answer is clearly yes but indeed sybils are a problem so the criterias are important and Optimisum, Arbitrum managed pretty well these criterias so IMO Starknet should copy these criterias and perhaps optimize them.
But definitely Starknet does not make the mistake to miss a large airdrop, that would kill the mass adoption.

I think a wild airdrop is a must. First of all, a large-scale airdrop can improve the reputation of the project, and a good reputation is the basis for the long-term operation of chain, which helps to retain old users and attract new users. Secondly, I think it is necessary to increase the reward of candy for early users to form a wealth creation effect, which will double the influence of the project. Finally, I think it is necessary to killing Sybil attacks, and I agree with some in the forums that there was a spike in accounts in August-September, including a large number of Sybil accounts; Before version 0.12, the on-chain experience was not good, and the Sybilers was relatively small at that time, so I don’t know if there was a snapshot before the upgrade, because I seem to have seen hints from the project side before the upgrade. Of course, I don’t have any ill will towards real users who entered in version 0.12, so multiple snapshots might also be a good option. For the standard, I listed the following points: 1. time span, 2. tx number; 3. The number of interactive contracts; 4. Interaction amount; The above can be used as a reference item for screening users, and finally I hope to distribute tokens openly and fairly, so that the project, community, ecology, and users can achieve a win-win situation, and I wish Starknet better and better

It is necessary to widely distributed because airdrop is also a form of marketing, you make more people have interest in the chain and you get to have more holders onchain.

Early users will not always be available or might phase out just because they may no longer be interested in the long run, So a wide airdrop gives Starknet the ability to garner a lot people and eventually sybills always phaseout in the longrun, also early users do phase out also but it may not be quick as a sybil, so giving everybody the opportunity to receive the airdrop brings all manner of people onto the network which will always be better in the long-run

Just hope they will treat users well

For those “developer”, actually I have no offense to them but they really did nothing well, just check those top protocols of starknet, they are still “eating money” from user. Nobody will use them if they deploy on other chains but we use them here. Starknet foundation really should know who’s actually supporting them