Wide airdrop yes/no?

I would support a wide airdrop, maybe utilizing Gitcoin passport for sybil protection )which I believe was mentioned above) or other similar services. I don’t personally agree with a $ amount minimum of activity as being a criterion, myself and I would think likely some others here are fairly dedicated but may not have alot of funds to bridge over regularly. I do agree with wallet activity being a factor though (ex. not allowing wallets with only one CEX transaction or burner wallets etc)

I think airdrop qualifications for early testnet users are somewhat necessary.
However, the ratio with mainnet users should be large.
Mainnet users are the ones who have really been using them for the project while consuming their own money.

It’s actually a very difficult decision. But for those professional studios with hundreds of thousands of numbers, we still can’t accept it. Because it’s too unfair.

IMHO in think yes, more people → Chain growing

For sybils problem, could be good idea to prevent

Arguments for wide airdrop:

1. Inclusivity: A wide airdrop allows more users, including newcomers and smaller investors, to participate and benefit from the project. This can help create a larger, more diverse community that supports the project.
  2. Network effect: By distributing tokens to a larger user base, a wide airdrop can increase the network effect, leading to greater adoption and usage of the platform. This, in turn, can contribute to the long-term success of the project.
  3. Marketing and awareness: A wide airdrop can generate significant buzz and interest in the project, potentially attracting new users and investors. This can help raise the overall profile of the project and increase its chances of success.

Arguments against wide airdrop:

1. Sybil attacks: As you mentioned, wide airdrops can attract a lot of Sybil accounts, which are fake accounts created by the same person or entity to take advantage of the airdrop multiple times. This can dilute the value of the airdrop for genuine users and make the distribution process more complicated.
  2. Rewarding loyal users: A targeted airdrop that rewards only early users can help incentivize and retain those who have been supporting the project from the beginning. This can contribute to a stronger community foundation and encourage long-term commitment to the project.
  3. Token distribution control: A wide airdrop may result in a less controlled distribution of tokens, which can lead to volatility in token price and market dynamics. Targeted airdrops can provide more control over the distribution process and help maintain a more stable token value.

Ultimately, the decision to conduct a wide airdrop or a targeted one should be based on the project’s specific goals, community, and long-term strategy. It’s essential to weigh the benefits and risks of each approach and choose the one that best aligns with the project’s vision and objectives.

I think the solution is somewhere in between. Perhaps, early adopters get a multiplier or additional points while a wide airdrop is still given to compensate testing of the network. We need a wide airdrop to encourage stress testing Starknet. It has proven very successful on both Optimism and Arbitrum. It can’t be so black and white as to say “only” early adopters will get an airdrop. This does not (in my opinion) contribute to a more decentralized network once airdropped tokens are rewarded. While sybil attacks are an issue, so is crime in real life. We cannot prevent all crime, thus we cannot prevent all sybil attacks. To say that we can is both untrue and niave. I propose that early adoption be a factor, but not the main criteria.

Important for Starknet’s advertisement. It’s also important to handle multiple wallets. It really should be airdrop for those who use starknet network properly

maybe it’s a good way to distribute wide rather than lots of limits to the users. all of them contributes this awesome system, use the dapps and provide liquidity and also show their trust to the developers.

A few thought more. Token incentives exist for:

1. token funding. Can be replaced by equity finance.
  2. DAO. Still in the early days and centralized governance is still the mainstream and tokens are usually concentrated in the hands of project owners and institutions.
  3. Growth and economic system regulation instruments. This one matters! A project with tokens has much more incentive resources for growth and the ability to regulate the project`s economic system than a project without tokens.

The main purpose for token incentives often is:

1. To attract the initial bilateral users for the product cold start;
  2. To speed up bilateral market growth, and accelerate the expansion of the cross-edge network effect(growth of user on one side provide greater value to users on the other side, such as LP providers and traders, both of which would grow in case of airdrop anticipation) through subsidies, creating a barrier to competing products.
    As said above, airdrop aims at the better lead in cross-edge network effect and monopoly advantage. So airdrop rules should help to raise user retention rate. Liquidity providers are easier to stick with the chain, as wash trading stops quickly after the incentive faded and doesnt really help with the chains market share of transactions. So airdrop rules should be more strict for traders. One case is Solidly by AC team, where governance token holders only get the fees of the pool they voted, instead of whatever pool they vote for. This will lead the holders of ve tokens to vote more to those Pools (pairs) that have more transactions and contribute more fees to the protocol, giving these pools more liquidity to boot (increasing the token emission incentive to the Pool), which in turn will have better depth and further gain more transactions and fees, which is tantamount to “disguised incentive to trade”.

Yes, giving airdrop to many users should attract them to use Starknet ecosystem which will be benefit in the long run. Though, early and consistent users should receive a bonus or multiplier to get more airdrop comparing to others. Sybils and bots should be disqualified as well.

I think it is still mainly about construction, considering the current user experience, it is too early to talk about airdrops

Wide airdrop make a lot of noise for marketing

If im not mistaken, from total of 2,3 mln eligible ARB airdrop wallets only like 600k passed the anti-sybil test, thus were able to claim. I vote for wide airdrop, since the mechanisms to stoping Sybil are already there and implemented i hope with StarkNet, and airdrop’s whole point is to decentralize the protocol which means, that the tokens should be distributed to a wider audience, than just narrow inner circle! I believe that the data is quite easilly checkable to see, if we’re deling with a Sybil account or a real person - the patterns of behaiviour (onchain data) might differ in these cases.

I think there must be a wide airdrop so that as many users as possible come, of course it is possible and necessary to give a different amount to a beginner user and an old user.
It is possible to grant the airdrop to new users by locking the coins for a certain period / locking and slowly releasing the coins from the lock.

Airdrop is not a good idea now since many users just use chain to get airdrop, they almost expecting that airdrop will happen and they will dump the bag immediately.

Imo ,Airdrop should be given to those who helped in development of starknet ecosystem…

The decision to conduct a wide airdrop versus a targeted airdrop is a complex one that requires careful consideration. A wide airdrop has the potential to attract a large number of users and increase the visibility of the project, but it also carries the risk of attracting sybil attackers who may try to exploit the system. On the other hand, a targeted airdrop can help to reward early supporters and loyal users, but it may not be as effective in increasing the project’s reach.

a wide airdrop would also mean a more volatile market price. I don’t necessarily like that market sentiment has that much control over token pricing.

I have seen models where airdrops were strategically distributed to “true believers,” and also vested over a fixed duration (e.g. = 24months).

Extensive airdrops are a very effective and low-cost method to increase the popularity of the project. Airdrops cannot be ignored because of witches. Witches can be reduced, but it is difficult to completely eliminate them, because they will hurt real participating users, and the project party needs to grasp the balance.

tbh this is not a solid argument. I for example started testing/using Arbitrum with pure hope for an airdrop. After I got the airdrop, i havent sold a single token. I actually bought more and staked them all on different protocols in Arbitrum ecosystem. Im sure there are a lot of people like me, but ofcourse some are only there to take profits. Thats how life is - win some, lose some.