Hi everyone! I’m Sylve, co-founder of @briqNFT, the NFT building protocol on StarkNet. I’m a former product manager at Ledger and I’ve been part of the StarkNet ecosystem since October 2021. As such I’ve organized a couple of things, like the first StarkNet Hacker Building at ETH Lisbon 2022 and gave a few talks like A Folk History of StarkNet. My goal is to keep StarkNet strange (and flourishing)!
Today I’m extremely happy to tell you about the Builders’ Council, which I will be helping out as a Governance Facilitator. This post explains what the Builders’ Council is and how it will work.
If you have any questions, feel free to comment on this post or reach out to me via Twitter at @sylvechv.
- The StarkNet Foundation is delegating a portion of its voting power to the Builders’ Council.
- The Builders’ Council is comprised of 17 builders from the StarkNet Ecosystem, chosen by the Foundation on merit of their expertise and deep knowledge of StarkNet.
- The Builders’ Council will vote on behalf of the Foundation during the First Phase of StarkNet Governance.
The StarkNet Foundation has been set up as an independent community structure to support and develop the StarkNet Ecosystem.
The StarkNet Foundation will (i) foster research & development, (ii) foster expansion of the StarkNet network and supporting technology, (iii) promote use and adoption of the StarkNet network, and (iv) fuel StarkNet community participation and project governance. The Foundation will help fund and organize user and developer conferences, and coordinate cooperation with allied and related communities.
The Builders’ Council will give opportunities to builders from the community to help shape StarkNet. This is good for the network, as the greater the wisdom available to it, the better. It’s also the right approach for a community where tokens are not yet widely distributed.
The role of the Builders’ Council
Carry out an in-depth learning and discussion process for each proposed decision, with the aim to lead to well-founded decisions that will benefit StarkNet and its long-term vision.
Take an active part in encouraging discussions and votes during the first phase on behalf of StarkNet community members.
Ensure transparency of the Council’s discussions, decisions, and activities.
How the Builders Council works
The StarkNet Foundation will delegate a portion (23.3%) of the total first phase voting power to the Builders’ Council.
The Builders’ Council will hold an in-depth discussion on issues proposed by the Foundation and make a decision on how to act, based on a simple majority vote.
All calls will be recorded, meeting notes will be written, and posted on this community forum and a dedicated Github repo for everyone to see, to uphold transparency and accountability.
The council’s mandate will be reviewed by the Foundation’s board after the end of the First Phase of the StarkNet Governance.
Members of the Builder Council
The members of the Builders’ Council were chosen by the StarkNet Foundation board, upon recommendation of the Governance committee & Starkware Ecosystem team, in order to create a balanced, well-involved council with deep knowledge of the platform.
My role will be to help the Builders’ Council members have informed discussions, gather votes, herd cats, and post all the results of discussions on the StarkNet Community Forum.
Confirmed members of StarkNet’s first phase Builder Council (in alphabetical order):
- Jon, co-founder of NFT marketplace Aspect and StarkNet explorer StarkScan
- Chee, Software developer and co-founder of StarkNet Malaysia
- Federica Moletta, Software developer at Lambda Class
- GuiltyGyoza, co-founder of Topology
- Jonathan Lei, co-founder and CTO at zkLend
- Julien Niset, co-founder of Argent
- Ivan Pavicic, Engineering Manager at Space Shard
- Martin Triay, Cairo Lead at OpenZeppelin
- Mentor Reka, Cofounder at DeFi platform Alpha Road and community platform StarkNet Ecosystem
- Motty Lavie, co-founder of Braavos wallet
- Nnam Darlington, Software developer and dev community lead of StarkNet Africa
- Nicolas Bacca, VP Innovation Lab and co-founder of Ledger
- Orlando, developer at Snapshot working on trustless voting app Snapshot X
- Rohit Goyal, co-founder of DeFi protocol JediSwap
- Sylve Chevet, co-founder at NFT procol briq, acting as Governance Facilitator
- TobbyKitty, co-founder of Fibrous Finance and StarkNet Turkey
- Tarrence van As, co-founder of StarkNet Gaming Console Cartridge.gg and on-chain game DopeWars
- What kind of voting system is put in place?
- simple majority
- Where does the discussion happen?
- Discussions will take place in this Community Forum and in community calls. All discussions will be posted on the StarkNet Community Forum.
- Where will the votes take place?
- Votes will take place on Snapshot
- Where is the decision posted?
- The decision will be posted on StarkNet’s Community Forum.
- How were the Builders’ Council members chosen?
- They were chosen by the StarkNet Foundation, recommended by the StarkWare team, and StarkNet community members (including me)
Should you have any questions please comment on this post or reach out to me on Twitter at @sylvechv, or through my profile in this StarkNet Community Forum.
- Builder Council Github Repo
- StarkNet Foundation Mission Statement blogpost
- StarkNet Governance First Phase blogpost
- StarkNet Delegation Onboarding Announcement
- Safe wallet of the Builder Council: eth:0x5C04Aa0E6896d5039bBeb4EEcAE8526a0A052A77